A backflip, also known as a back somersault, is an acrobatic movement in which the body rolls backwards end over end, making a complete revolution. It is one of the fundamental movements as it the basis for many other moves, and is often one of the first flips that a beginner to free running or tricking will learn.
- Performing the move while in the tucked position - this is the most common way to perform a backflip on flat ground.
- Layout backflip
- Performing the move with a fully extended body rather than a tuck - common when performing a backflip off very high objects.
- Travelling forwards while performing the backtuck
- Backflip with a 180 twist
- Backflip 360
- Adding a full twist to the flip
- Double backflip
- Performing two back tucks immediately after each other before landing